Types of Grants
The grants are awarded each year to agencies that submit a proposal to The Community Chest in accordance with the schedule provided on the website. Grants are reviewed by an Allocations Committee comprised of members of The Community Chest’s Board of Managers. Annual grants may be used for program funding or general operating expenses. The maximum amount awarded to an agency for an Annual Grant is $20,000.
- The attached application must be submitted by all applicants for funding. All questions on the application must be completed. The application must be filed electronically on the due date and five hard copies delivered to The Community Chest office by mail or in person on the same date.
- For applicants funded in the previous year a copy of their mid-year report should also be attached to the electronic submission. The hard copies should also include: the most recent annual budget of the agency, the most recent independent audit and a list of the Board of Directors or the agency.
- Any agency literature (one copy of each) referencing The Community Chest’s support should also be included in the packet that is delivered.
Impact Grants (Harriet Tanner Impact Grants)
No applications for Impact Grants will be accepted this grant year.
- The Board of Managers of The Community Chest will consider proposals for special grants that meet the above criteria but that are to be used in any of the following ways: addressing a new social issue, the needs of an underserved population, a newly identified program in the community, capital projects, research or innovation grants or some other special project that meets the needs of the communities served by The Community Chest. These are one time only grants. Renewals may not be requested for these special projects. Applications for grants that are not for capital expenditures must include the plan for how the project will be funded in the future. Agencies may apply for Impact Grants for other purposes in the future but must take a three year hiatus before making their next Impact Grant request. - Maximum grant requests - $25,000
Occasionally agencies may have unanticipated needs for funding. Special requests for emergency funding are considered on a case by case basis throughout the year.
- Agencies wishing to apply for these funds because of a special need should contact the Executive Director and schedule a meeting to discuss the request. The request will be brought to the Allocations Committee for discussion. Final approval must be granted by the Board of Managers.
- The Community Chest Board of Managers may choose to make special grants during the program year. These may be made because of special circumstances (e.g. Hurricane Sandy, or Holiday Season grants) or because an agency has a specific emergency need.
Start up Agencies
Proposals from start-up agencies will be considered during the grant-making process. They must meet the criteria noted above except for the requirements for prior operational experience and the option of submitting more than one proposal. Prior discussions with the Executive Director should be held to discuss the proposals and receive direction.
In the first year of funding grants will be made for up to $3,000
Each year The Allocations Committee of the Board of Managers of The Community Chest will make site visits to selected agencies. This is to support the stewardship role that The Community Chest assumes with its donors. Agencies will be given at least one month’s notice to arrange the visit. The purpose of the visit is to inform The Community Chest’s staff and board about the status of the project, whether the funds are being spent as requested and to provide input and advice to the agency about observations.